Available Sept 2021
person at a time, one
act at a time, one
word at a time.
Through the power of allyship, each of us can create an equitable, innovative workplace where everyone feels safe, valued, and able to thrive.
How To Be An Ally
How can you help someone else to thrive? How can you interrupt the biases, microaggressions, and inequities that prevent others from excelling? How can you build an innovative workplace fueled by equity, diversity, and belonging?
In her practical and timely new book HOW TO BE AN ALLY: Actions You Can Take for a Stronger, Happier Workplace, diversity and inclusion expert and CEO of Change Catalyst Melinda Briana Epler offers a playbook for much-needed change in the workplace—change to ensure everyone feels safe, valued, and able to thrive.
This one-of-a-kind guidebook teaches what every individual needs to learn to take action as an ally, following these seven steps:
- Learn, unlearn, and relearn. Learn to recognize historical harm and its intergenerational impact, unlearn biases from history and cultural marginalization, and relearn from new perspectives.
- Do no harm—understand and correct our biases. Work to change your behaviors and actions to avoid unintentional harm.
- Recognize and overcome microaggressions. Develop your awareness and empathy skills to identify and eliminate these toxic behaviors.
- Advocate for people. Step up and advocate in small, everyday ways that can make big differences in people’s lives.
- Stand up for what’s right. Intervene to stop microaggressions and support people who have been harmed.
- Lead the change. When you’re ready, take action to lead change in your work, on your team(s), and in your workplace.
- Transform your organization, industry, and society. Address biases and inequities in your company and in the broader world.
The key to true diversity, equity, and inclusion is allyship. Uniquely insightful and deeply needed, HOW TO BE AN ALLY humanizes diversity and inclusion and facilitates greater empathy and understanding between people of all identities. Through the power of allyship, we can all correct imbalances in opportunity and create a better workplace for ourselves and our colleagues.
For a limited time only, everyone who pre-orders the hardcover edition of “How To Become An Ally” will receive these BONUS gifts:
- Coaching Session With Melinda Briana Epler
- Signed Copy of “How To Be An Ally“
– Melinda Briana Epler